
OK, so if anyone has any advice, I need it. My nine month old son doesn't sleep very much, therefore I don't sleep very much. He stays up until about ten in the evening and is up at six in the morning, and he doesn't really nap during the day. I put him in bed for a nap in the morning, and he will sleep for about 15 minutes or so (if I am lucky, 3o) and that is it. His afternoon nap has seemed to just vanish. I am about at my wits end with this because I need some more sleep. I have tried just letting him cry it out, and that doesn't seem to bother him near as much as it bothers me. He will just cry and cry and cry. I was praying about it tonight, and the only thing that came to my mind was to meet his need, whatever it may be. So, after letting him cry for awhile (during this time was when I was praying what to do), I went and got him, and after another 20 minutes of soothing him, he finally went to sleep. So, any advice???
Oh Beth, this is so hard! I know from experience what lack of sleep can do to you! And I can just read between the lines of what you wrote, how you are really wishing for someone to just TELL you what to do. :)
ReplyDeleteI have always been like that too, reading every book I can, wanting to figure out THE WAY to solve whatever issue my kids are having. And the sleep thing is a biggie, even though it's probably different for every child.
Is your son fussy because he doesn't sleep as much? If he is pretty happy, then maybe he doesn't need as much sleep? But if he gets noticeably fussy and obviously tired, then he really does need to learn to sleep somehow.
My youngest was like this too, woke up predictably 45 minutes after every nap, and was grumpy and fussy when he woke up. And he still does that some. But I did realize finally that it was okay for him to cry some and it actually helped him learn to fall asleep on his own and stay asleep longer. I have no idea why! But it worked for us.
When I tried it though (and I just did this for naps at first), I would have to go somewhere where I couldn't hear him too well, like in the basement. Listening to your child cry is just AGONIZING for a mom, don't you think? But it didn't last long, and then he would fall asleep. And when he woke up too early, I let him cry a few minutes then too, and he almost always fell back asleep after a few minutes.
Anyway, please know that you are not alone! And in a few short years he won't be napping anymore anyway. But it's also okay for him to cry in his crib so you can have a short break. He DOES need to sleep, and if he chooses not to, then he could play in the crib with some toys instead. Eventually he won't cry anymore.
Hang in there, honey!
Yeah, I know that he does need to sleep, because when he doesn't sleep, all he wants is for me to hold him, or he hangs on my legs, follows me around, etc. When he has gotten good sleep, he plays happily. But, last night he actually went to sleep just before 9pm, but then he still woke up before six. At least I had a little time to spend with my husband last night. Thanks for the words of encouragement! I know that it will get better, eventually.
ReplyDeleteHe sounds like a Clay to me. Always up in the early hours of the morning, and in bed by 10:30. If he is anything like dad he will take really long naps during football games.:) I don't really know, obviously, but I hope you figure something out.
ReplyDeleteLove ya,
Britt