So, last night, I had quite the adventure. Let me start my story with the fact that the night before, I had not gotten a lot of sleep, and I had no nap on Saturday. So, when I put Kinley to sleep at 9pm Saturday evening, I was hoping to get to bed early. But, Nathan and I stayed up and looked at stuff on the internet and talked about moving stuff, and then I took a shower and by the time I went to move Kinley from upstairs to downstairs it was about 11:30pm. When I picked her up, I noticed she was burning up. So, of course I decided to check her temperature. It was 101.1 degrees...which is in the danger zone for children under two months old. So, we decided that I should take her to the Emergency Room. Nathan offered to take her, but since he can't feed her, I had to go, and he stayed home with the other two sleeping children.
And, of course, we had a snow storm come through Saturday night. So, the roads on the way to the base hospital were quite treacherous. I prayed that the Lord would get us there safely, and He did. I got behind a truck and followed its tracks all the way to base. So, upon arriving at the ER, they got us in very quickly, because she was under two months old- praise the Lord!!! Then, the torture started. If you have children under two months, pray that they don't spike a high fever. They proceeded to check her urine (with a catheter, which of course was too big for her small body, even though it was the smallest one they had), draw blood, do chest x-rays, and the worst for me- the lumbar puncture. And, she was so tired through the whole process. She would just cry during each procedure, and then fall asleep in my arms until the next one. By the time they were done, I was nearly in tears as well. But, we were done with the tests. It was 2:45am, and we had to wait over an hour for the test results. So, I got her to sleep and put her in her carseat, and then I managed to sleep for about 45 minutes with my head on the table in the exam room. Finally, at about 4:10am, the doctor came back and told me that she didn't show any signs of a bacterial infection, and we could go home. I asked if there was anything I could do for her fever, and he said no, just to wait it out. If it spiked up over 101 again, to come back. OK- so we endured all of that for him to tell me to do nothing. GREAT!!! He then proceeded to tell me that the roads were really bad and if I wanted to stay at the hospital until morning, I could. I took a look at the hospital bed, and said that I would head home. It had snowed about 3-4 inches while I was in the ER. But, I headed home cautiously, and made it home by about 4:45am. I only even say one other car on the roads on the way home. Since there were no lanes visible, I just tried to stay in the middle of the highway.
I was so tired, but at least I knew Kinley was fine. She has still had a slight fever today, but not as high. We have slept most of the day. I am really looking forward to a good nights sleep tonight!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I hope you got your good night of sleep.
ReplyDeleteSO weird question, but what kind of thermometer do you use? I hate mine and I never feel like it gets an good measurement. Thanks girl!
Same thing happened to Mabry at 3 weeks old...we decided to not do the lumbar puncture and wait until the next day...turned out to be fine! That's an experience though...it's so hard to see your tiny little one so sick. Hope you can get some rest.
ReplyDeleteMeredith...I use a regular thermometer, and I take the temp rectally. I have an ear thermometer, but I never get an accurate reading. As to if I got a good night of sleep, wait until my next post...
ReplyDeleteChloe went through all those procedures at the hospital when she was born. It is so tough to she them sick. :(
ReplyDeleteHope you all are feeling better.