Tuesday, April 1, 2008

I Will Hold You So Tight...

Lately, when putting Brianna to bed, she will give either Nathan or I, or both, a great big hug and say to us, "I will hold you so tight so that you can't go anywhere." And, of course as a mother, that just melts my heart.

Today, in my quiet time, I read Isaiah 40:11-
"Like a shepherd, He will tend his flock, In His arm He will gather the lambs and carry them in His bosom; He will gently lead the nursing ewes."

As I read this for the first time (out of my Bible for Moms), I thought that this was a great picture of how I should be with my children. To keep them close and teach them and nurture them. And, it is.

But, as I continued to read and meditate on this verse, I saw another picture. It was the picture of God, holding me so tight so that I cannot go anywhere. I thought of the times that I am holding my children and they struggle to get down, but I won't let them, for whatever reason. And then sometimes they snuggle and cuddle and it is just great. I think that sometimes I am like that with God. Sometimes I rebel and I want to do things my own way, in my time, etc. But, through those times, he keeps me in His arms, teaching me and nurturing me back to His plan for my life.

What a peace that we have knowing that God is holding us so tight that we can't go anywhere outside of His plan for our lives.

6 comments:

  1. That is definitely a comforting thought....especially right now. :-) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite verses is this one...He will gently lead the nursing ewes is such a great verse for young mothers! I truly believe being a mother of very young children is one of the most difficult times spiritually..so hard to have time, even early in the morning, for long times with the Lord. Somebody always needs something from you! But the Lord gently leads us...and will not let us go. He speaks to us and grows us through even the little time we get to spend with Him in His Word! I love it!!! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good thoughts Beth...thanks for sharing.
    So sorry I haven't called you back.
    Friday night will work for us. Nate wants me to just meet him there, instead of driving all the way home and back again. So, we might get there before you guys. I will try to call you tomorrow to work out details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing that, Beth. That is a great thing to dwell on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i hope i have a lil girl like that someday! :)

    Oh and btw... those earings were called "expression" but i'm still looking for something else?! thanks!!!!!! <3 you!

    ReplyDelete