Thursday, December 2, 2010

All About the Name...

I actually have much to blog about these days, but it doesn't seem that I have the time to blog. But, I will start, and see how much I can blog before this baby boy comes.

We have had the hardest time deciding on a name for this little blessing. I don't know why. When Nathan and I found out that we were expecting our first child, there were so many boy names that we just loved, and only one girl name. And, since we had a girl, we used the one name we both just loved...Brianna Ruth. And, with Nate and Kinley, we kind of just had what we call an "Aha" moment, where we knew we had found the right name. But with this baby...not so much.

We have known from the beginning that we wanted to incorporate the name James into his name, to name him after my grandfather, James Clay. My grandfather is a very godly man. One of the most recent memories that I have of him is a couple of years ago sitting in Sunday School with him at Dad's church. Dad asked someone to look up a Scripture and read it. Grandpa, without hesitating, or turning in his Bible, just quoted the Scripture for Dad. He is definitely a man who has loved the Lord and his family all of the days of his life. I have great memories of playing at his house, especially kicking the ball around outside with my cousins and working in the garden with him and my grandmother. And, the endless garage sales they always had. And, a very special trip that my grandparents took my sister Becky and I on to Colorado. He is still alive today...very old and very sick, but we are still blessed with his life and are thankful for the time that the Lord is giving us with him.

But, should it be the first name or the middle name...and what do you put with it? We have really struggled. We thought we had decided on a name...Jon-Michael James Hendricks (which, by the way, I still really like), but the Lord has changed our minds, yet again.

While continuing to discuss the name situation, Nathan mentioned that his grandfather was born on December 7th, and asked if the baby was born on that day, that we name him James Harold, after both of our grandfathers. My first response was, I would NEVER name a child Harold, because I just don't like the name. (No offense to any Harold's out there...I just don't.) But, the Lord really convicted my heart that Nathan's grandfather was one of the most influential men in his life. Nathan loves to tell stories of his Grandpa Boombah (crazy name he called him), he taught Nathan how to fish- which is still one of his favorite hobbies, and he was the reason Nathan joined the marines and is now in the Air Force. From what I have been told, he was also a godly man who loved his family. I was never privileged to meet him b/c he passed away before Nathan and I even dated. But, he was a very important man in my husband's life, just as my grandfather was a very important man in my life.

So, our son's name will be James Harold Hendricks. It definitely wasn't my first choice, but I know it is the right choice. He will be a very special little man, named after two very special men.

No comments:

Post a Comment