Monday, February 2, 2009

Life in Alaska

The other day Nathan went to get me some sausage biscuits from McD's (yes, this baby makes me crave sausage) and saw five or so bald eagles in the trees next to McD's. So, here are some great shots of the bald eagles. It is really cool to live in a place where you can just go outside and see these beautiful birds.



On another note, life here in AK sure has been interesting lately. Just in case you haven't heard, Mt. Redoubt is getting ready to erupt...like any time now. Of course, they have been saying that for about a week or so, but they continue to say that it is inevitable. So, what does that mean for us? Well, Mt. Redoubt is really not that far from where we live...just across the Cook Inlet, and a little south. That means that Anchorage will be getting quite a bit of ash fall from the volcano, depending on the winds. Here are some things you are supposed to do/not do in the event of the volcano erupting:

1. Remain inside...this includes driving, because the ash could ruin your car. (So, if I go into labor, how am I supposed to get to the hospital? Just a thought)
2. If you have to go outside, wear a mask or damp cloth across you mouth so that you don't inhale the ash.
3. Do not wear contact lenses, and basically, try to cover your eyes as much as possible so that the ash doesn't damage them.
4. Wear long sleeve clothing to protect your skin as much as possible. OK- this is Alaska, who isn't going to be wearing long sleeves???
5. Cover all electronics to protect them from ash.
6. Have a weeks worth of food and water on hand.

So, that is a short list of what to do. There is so much to think about. And, on top of it all...I am 38 weeks pregnant now, so that means (at least for me), that I could have this baby any day. Let's just say that I am progressed. So, our option is for us to go live at the hospital if the volcano erupts. And, we have to bring all of our own food. And, we won't have a refrigerator. HOW FUN!!! So, the bags, for all in the family, are packed. I have a list of what food to take, we have a case of bottled water in the car. I think, that when this volcano erupts, we will be able to get to the hospital within an hour or so. At least, that is my plan...we'll see how it goes.

So, if you hear that there has been a volcanic eruption in AK, and don't hear from me for several days, don't be to alarmed. I should be able to have cell phone reception, and I will keep in contact with my parents. So, I will ask Dad to post something about how we are on his blog.

My question is...who will erupt first? Me, or the volcano? I am betting on the volcano.

I just saw that my friend Ruth posted about this volcano as well, and she has some awesome pics of the mountain and some interesting facts. Check out her blog here.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Hope your appointment yesterday went well. Any new news? I have my 38 week tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahh! i heard you went into labor last night...Nate and i are praying for you and the baby and the whole family. we love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete