Friday, December 18, 2009

Why I Don't Like Santa

Let me start this off by saying that I don't mean to sound cynical here, but this is how I really feel. I try not to judge others who do celebrate with Santa, so know that even if you do celebrate Santa, I still love you! So, here's the post:

Maybe its because I grew up having never celebrated Christmas with Santa. Or maybe its because my husband sees no need for lying to our children about Santa, because he was told the truth when he was young as well. However I think that the real reason I don't like Santa is because he takes away from the true meaning of Christmas. So many people today celebrate Christmas and have no idea of why they are celebrating it.

Nathan leaned over to me in Sunday school a couple of weeks ago and said, "Isn't it ironic that the one time of year that people EXPECT other parents to lie to their children is at Christmas time?" So, don't expect me to lie to your children about there being a Santa, OK? I won't do it...just letting you know. In respect for you, I may try to totally avoid the subject, but if asked, I won't lie to them.

Christmas is about Jesus. How He came to this earth as a baby, so that He could die on the cross for our sins. The message is so simple, even my four year old gets it. Up until this week, I had never even heard her mention Santa. I don't know why people, why Christians, feel the need to incorporate Santa into their Christmas celebrations. I remember last Christmas we went to a Christmas pageant at a church in Anchorage, and there was Santa in it. Seriously, can't a church have a Christmas program without Santa? It made me so mad!!!

So, you will be very hard pressed to find anything "Santa" in my house. I avoid him at all cost. He makes me mad, because he has distracted so many people from the true meaning of Christmas, Jesus Christ. And, please don't tell my kids about Santa...I want to keep their focus on Jesus!

Think about this, people tell their children about Santa, who they are supposed to believe in, even though they don't see him. They also tell them about Jesus and God, who they can't see, but are supposed to believe in. Then... down the road, these kids find out that Santa isn't real. What are they supposed to believe about Jesus and God?

Oh, and one other interesting fact about Santa that Nathan pointed out to me...rearrange the letters just a bit, and what do you get? SATAN! I think he is at work distorting the real reason for Christmas!

7 comments:

  1. Here, Here!
    I try to avoid Santa also, and I don't even have kids. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I understand the point made of distracting from the truth of Christmas.....here is a link as to why I tell my children where the origins of Santa came from....then I incorporate it into the message of Jesus....just a thought

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=38

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you made great points Beth.
    I wonder what you think of the whole push from corporate retailers to mandate that employees say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  5. John found this link. Watch the video....pretty funny!

    http://www.citizenlink.org/focusaction/

    ReplyDelete
  6. To my anonymous person...I know about St. Nicholas and if people actually used his story in explaining Santa, that is great. BUT, I would bet that the majority of people in the world don't tell their children about him. That is why it frustrates me so much...something good distorted to take away from the real meaning of Christmas. Thanks for the link!

    Becky and John- it so frustrates me that people don't say "Merry Christmas"...if they tell me "Happy Holidays" I just reply with "Merry Christmas"...sometimes people don't know what to say, which further frustrates me. :)

    ReplyDelete